"Ordinary life does not interest me. I seek only the high moments. I am in accord with the surrealists, searching for the marvelous." ~Anais Nin

23 December 2015

Poetry Wednesday #21


This is another old poem.  The structure of which came from, I think, a Jack Prelutsky Halloween collection . . . And maybe the first line . . . Also, I cleaned it up a bit. ~Amber


I'm Rescued Nightly by a Wicked Black Cat

A cat as black as midnight coal
Is now upon her nightly stroll,
She runs and runs without a care–
Is that a shadow on the stair?
She jumps!  She bumps!
She knocks down books!
She gives her human dirty looks.
Toes are monsters, which she attacks.
Mercy is a thing she lacks.
She fights!  She Bites!
She brings much pain!
The toes, they try to hide in vain.
Her human gives a dreadful cry!
The cat's afraid the girl may die.
She yowls!  She howls!
She attacks again!
Will this battle never end?
The toes finally give up the fight,
But they may return another night.
She sleeps and sleeps,
She dreams of battle
'Til she's wakened by her human's prattle.
She thinks, "Human, you have no clue.
You should be glad I rescued you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment