"Ordinary life does not interest me. I seek only the high moments. I am in accord with the surrealists, searching for the marvelous." ~Anais Nin

16 December 2015

Poetry Wednesday #20

I was cleaning up my room the other day, and found a stack of papers.  Most of it was trash, but this weeks poem was there, buried between years-old notes and other such nonsense.  I wrote this when I was 15, right after we moved from the city in one state to the suburbs in another.  It's not bad, there are some things I'd change or "fix," but I don't cringe when reading it–unlike most of the other poetry I wrote at 15–so I'll reproduce it here faithfully.  You may end up seeing a rewrite eventually.  Oh, and I think there's a picture of the house on my parents computer, if I remember I'll edit this post to add it.  ~Amber

The House On Karnes BLVD

The ancient face
            is closed and silent now
     old stucco skin
and a hat of shingles
are shaded under an umbrella of leaves and branches

Just behind the wall of trees
            besides the weird
                                    severed
head
a constant river of cars flows
            dams itself
flows again
the babble of this dangerous brook
is deafening
                                                        at times
a lullaby
                                                        at others

I remember the house
            I remember it's indifferent stare
as I walked to the car never to return
                        in my mind it is empty
though a new family is in
                                     it's grasp
      laughing and playing
                          listening to the cars drive by
just out of sight

Just out of sight
                        not out of mind

No comments:

Post a Comment