"Ordinary life does not interest me. I seek only the high moments. I am in accord with the surrealists, searching for the marvelous." ~Anais Nin

09 February 2016

My Space or What I Did in January

Way, way back (in November) I set a goal for myself to clear out my living space and make it habitable again by the end of January.  I succeeded.  Wonderfully, I think.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I guess I should explain just what I was working with.  My space is a 10x10 room in my parents house.  For the past several years ALL of my worldly possessions have been crammed into that small bedroom, and it really hasn't been the most comfortable place to live.  Not only is it very, very small, but it was also painted a brilliantly hideous shade of orange.

Yep.  Orange.  And messy.
I spent a little over a month cleaning out everything.  Moving my books and boxes and things to the basement.  Seriously, like, 20 boxes of books.  It was ridiculous.  Little by little, I emptied my room of everything but my bed and bookshelves (with only one layer of books on each shelf)—incidentally, before the end of April I plan on going through all those boxes of books and weeding them all down to the essentials, which, for me, is still quite a lot, but not nearly as many as I currently have.  I bought a dresser, which I haven't had for at least a decade, and picked out new colors for my room.

I spent a week scrubbing and sanding my walls, then another week priming and painting.  My new colors are so much better.  I also rearranged my furniture.  My room is transformed.  And, if I may myself, very pretty.

So pretty.
Three of the walls are painted the Sherwin-Williams color "Sea Salt" and the fourth wall, the one with the window which my dresser is against, is painted "Oyster Bay."



Man, I love it.  I still have some work to do.  Here soon I plan on painting all the trim white, get new (white!) bookshelves to go in the corner I didn't photograph, get new shades and curtains for the window, and matching curtains to replace my missing closet doors (don't ask me where they went, I don't know).  Also, I have several more pictures to hang somewhere.  But it's a very good start and a much more relaxing place to live.  

My accessories are also great.  

I found this blue and white flower pot in my parent's garage.  My mom told me that someone gave it to her (with a plant in it) when I was born.  I claimed it for myself because I thought it was cute, and apropos since I'm trying to start my life anew.  Cute, right?
And, I was finally able to put out my awesome dragon lamp!
And, apparently, I'm a huge fan of fantasy art.  Who'd've thought?

Gods!  I love that painting.

So that's it.  It's my much-better-but-still-work-in-progress-room.  Now if I can only fix up the rest of my life...



2 comments: