"Ordinary life does not interest me. I seek only the high moments. I am in accord with the surrealists, searching for the marvelous." ~Anais Nin

05 August 2015

Poetry Wednesday #3

Woman, 1 of many

She was not trained,
As other women were,
To endure discomfort;
And so, refused to wear those icons of 
Femininity
That were called
High heels.

Her girlhood consisted of
Rough and tumble games,
Her dolls were always dusty with
Disuse,
And she never learned,
As other girls did,
How to hold her tongue,
So she never lost the power of her
Voice.

I envy her
The power of her tongue,
The strength of her words,
The comfort of her stride.
My own is often tied,
Halting,
Mincing.
I walk cautiously,
Afraid to trip,
Afraid to fall.
Rarely speak with confidence,
If I speak at all.

How is it
That I learned what she
Did not?  
In youth, I played the same
Rough and tumble games,
But somehow my play
Turned quiet.
As did my voice.
Now, my feet hurt
All the time,
And I barely say a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment